Friday, March 11, 2011

Listen...Feel...

Had my sixth lesson with the new piano teacher two days ago. Things went okay, though he did give me tons of work to do -- I'm starting to wonder how people with jobs actually find the time for practice, and how they manage to advance so quickly...

One of the things I learnt that day, was how artistic music is, or at least that's how my teacher teaches it.

Yeah, it does sound obvious, but till now, I still haven't learnt many chords or very much theory at all. All he does is make me listen to the notes I play, and find my way around an improvisation from there. He also taught me not to count beats, nor to transpose by memorising the scales, like what most classical music teachers make their students do. He advised that I feel the beat -- feel the groove of songs, know the rhythm, and go from there -- though he did make me play with a metronome to train up my timing, but past that, he told me never to count, just feel. As for transposition, he believes that once a person were to attain mastery over the piano keys, they wouldn't have to calculate how they should transpose, they just d, by ear...if that makes sense. It does actually, I just can't find a better way of expressing it in words at the moment, seeing as I'm writing this at four in the morning, LOL., sorry about that.

It's weird, but somehow, finding the groove of songs never seemed like a big problem to me, unless I get nervous and doubt myself...I wonder if it's 'cause of my sight that makes things like these a little more natural for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment